Utility companies serving District residents
Find more information about utility scams from each of the utility companies serving District residents. If you have questions about the status of your account or to confirm an unscheduled visit, contact the utility directly.
These District agencies can assist you if you think you’ve been the target of a scam.
NOTE: If you’ve suffered loss of money due to a utility scam, you should immediately:
- Cancel any credit cards or financial accounts you believe have been compromised or opened fraudulently.
- Consider placing a security freeze on your credit reports.
- Contact the Metropolitan Police Department’s Financial and Cyber Crimes Unit to file a report
Federal agencies and national organizations
Contact any of the following federal agencies or organizations for more information or assistance with a utility scam.
Federal Communications Commission
Federal Trade Commission
- Call (888) 382-1222 from the number you want to register.
- Sign-up for scam alerts or call (877) 908-3360 to report a scam.
- Report and/or see businesses or offers that sounds like an illegal scheme or fraud.
- Get tips and information about utility scams.